Friday, April 06, 2007

The Alchemist

I was never really one to read these types of books. My sister was. But because of this Book Club that Liv had set up, I joined the inspirational genre since I wasn't really interested in any of the other genres. Oh well, anyway, I have to admit. I wasn't really wowed by the novel since it was just too heavy for me. (I would have rather read something light and witty). Not because I'm an airhead or anything but I just somehow think that life is as hard as it is already and the fact that we have to read things like this would just make us think even more and make us realize how life is. Tricky and all.

I was just thinking just like the shepherd, would we let go of all the comfort that we have in our lives and pursue a dream that we're still unsure of? :) Right, right? :) I mean like for instance me, I know that there are greener pastures out there (or I'm dreaming of a greener pasture), would I give up everything that I have going for right now just because I think there's something better out there for me.

But there was a line in the book that says: "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it..." But then has it ever happened to you that you want something really, really bad, you don't get it and you get totally heartbroken about it. That's soo sad right? And what about those things that you really want and you feel that everyone is against you? Would you not fight for that thing that you want? Obviously, you would right?

I mean, just because something seems so hard to get doesn't mean it's not for you. Sometimes, you have to strive a little harder. Work a little better to get it.

Another line that really struck me here is this: "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." I dont know why this struck me soo much but maybe because it happens in our family a lot. You see.. we have such a righteous bunch that I feel that they think they're all so knowing and they know exactly how each and everyone should live their lives. I bet, if you dig deep down inside of them, they're not happy at all. And I don't know if I'm going to eat these words in the future but I don't want to live that kind of life. Such a hypocritical way of living.

I want to be with someone I love. Someone who I can stand even in good times and bad times. Someone who I know won't leave me when the going gets tough or would care for me even when I'm really bitchy that day. I know that money matters but when there's money around then I think love (okay, fine you can't eat love) but at least the feeling is there to help you through good times and bad times right? That's what life is all about anyway. No bailing out when shit is happening. That's what real commitment is all about.

In my family, that is so not evident. And that's the thing I want to change. That's the thing that I learned in my life. A family should be filled with love not with extreme expectations.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

totally agree with not getting everything that you want. in the end, it's still God who decides. it's frustrating to not know what's going to happen, but that's also the beauty of it -- you just never know.

Anonymous said...

good points b... and you say you dont like reading things like these? for me, i love it that it makes you think about your life, where you're going and what you've done. makes you be more sure about things as you have to think about them as you live your life...

wala lang.. happy easter b!

Kinney said...

i just dont like to think TOO much.. haha..cause i think all the time. Too much thinking kills. :)